For the summer of 2017, NTIS is accepting internship applications from college and graduate students who are looking to serve at NTIS headquarters, which is located in Alexandria, Virginia.
NTIS is offering an opportunity for an enthusiastic library science major who would assist with the National Technical Reports Library’s (NTRL) special collection. The intern will research, organize, catalog, and process materials that will be housed in the NTRL collection.
Strong organization and research skills are required. Experience in library science and records management are a plus but not required.
Summer internships typically begin in June and continue through the first week of September; however, there is limited flexibility on specific dates. NTIS staff will assist students who wish to receive college credit for this unpaid internship.
- Help identify and assess the archival value of materials
- Process the collection, including physical arrangement (sorting, boxing, labeling)
- Inventory and description of materials
- Create database records
- Create collection guides and other basic finding aids
- Communicate with NTIS staff
- Assist with special projects
- Other duties as assigned
- Junior, Senior, or Graduate Student enrolled in college
- Excellent research skills
- Able to sort and organize various materials by subject
- Have a basic understanding of library cataloging and classification
- Have a basic understanding of electronic tagging of documents with metadata
- Must possess excellent research techniques
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as a member of a team
- Ability to identify, analyze and solve problems creatively and independently
- Ability to use technology to enhance the overall effectiveness of the collection, including web based methods of improving technological access to the collection
- Be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and shift priorities as directed
- Advanced computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite, are required
- Working toward a degree in Library and Information Science, Records Management, or similar field
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter, and unofficial transcripts to: email@example.com