NTIS is committed to protecting your privacy and will collect no personal information about you unless you choose to provide that information. Such information is kept within NTIS although some information may be provided to our agency sources. For products developed under a joint venture, some information may be shared with our joint venture partner.
Your Rights under the Privacy Act
Information concerning the Privacy Act can be found on the following Web site: http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/fed_prog/foia/foia.htm#privacyact
Here is how we handle information about your visit to our site:
1. If you read or download information, we automatically collect and store the following:
- Status of the request (was it successful or was there an error?);
- The date and time you access our site;
- The Internet address of the Web site or domain name of the computer from which you accessed our site;
- The type and version of your Web browser (Netscape, Explorer, etc.); and
- The operating system (Windows, Mac, Unix, etc.) of the machine running the Web browser.
2. If you send us an e-mail, we will only use it to respond to your message or to provide you ongoing information if you request it.
3. If you purchase a product on-line, we collect personal information required to support the purchasing of products, including names, addresses, telephone and fax numbers and e-mail addresses.
4. We collect no personally identifiable information about you when you visit our site unless you choose to provide that information to us. For the protection of users of our Web sites, we have safeguards in place to identify and prevent unauthorized attempts to access or cause harm to information and systems.
Shopping online at NTIS is safe and secure. Our secure server software (SSL) is the industry standard and among the best software available today for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card or deposit account number, name, and address, so that it cannot be read as the information travels over the Internet.
"Cookies" are small bits of text that are either used for the duration of a session ("session cookies") or saved on a user's hard drive in order to identify that user, or information about that user, the next time the user logs on the a Web site ("persistent cookies"). This Web site does not use persistent cookies or any other persistent tracking technology. Per-session cookies are used to store information only within a session. These cookies are cached only while a user is visiting the Web server issuing the per-session cookie and are deleted from the cache when the user closes the session. These cookies allow us to provide features such as storing items in your shopping cart. No other site can request this information nor can NTIS track your usage of other sites. If you turn your browser's cookie option off, you can still use most of the features on our site, however, you will not be able to review more than one search results page and you will not be able to order anything with our on-line order processing system. You may still use portions of the website and may order using our telephone sales number.
Some of the materials provided by NTIS are subject to copyrights owned by private parties therefore these may not be copied or distributed without permission of the copyright owner. NTIS cannot grant permission for further use. To understand if fair use may be applicable, see http://cendi.dtic.mil/publications/00-3copyright.html