The NTIS website and supporting ordering systems are undergoing a major upgrade from 8PM on September 25th through approximately October 6. During that time, much of the functionality, including subscription and product ordering, shipping, etc., will not be available. You may call NTIS at 1-800-553-6847 or (703) 605-6000 to place an order but you should expect delayed shipment. Please do NOT include credit card numbers in any email you might send NTIS.
Documents in the NTIS Technical Reports collection are the results of federally funded research. They are directly submitted to or collected by NTIS from Federal agencies for permanent accessibility to industry, academia and the public.  Before purchasing from NTIS, you may want to check for free access from (1) the issuing organization's website; (2) the U.S. Government Printing Office's Federal Digital System website http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys; (3) the federal government Internet portal USA.gov; or (4) a web search conducted using a commercial search engine such as http://www.google.com.
Accession Number PB2013-102450
Title End-to-end Performance in Vehicular Networks with an Emphasis on Safety and Security Applications.
Publication Date Jul 2012
Media Count 32p
Personal Author K. Psounis
Abstract In wireless networks, the presence of interference among wireless links introduces dependencies among wireless links introduces dependencies among flows that do not share a single link or node. As a result, when designing a resource allocation scheme, be it a medium access scheduler or a ow rate controller, one needs to consider the interdependence among nodes within interference range of each other. Specically, control plane information needs to reach nearby nodes which often lie outside the communication range, but within the interference range of a node of interest. But how can one communicate control plane information well beyond the existing communication range. To address this fundamental need we introduce tag spotting. Tag spotting refers to a communication system which allows reliable control data transmission at SNR values as low as 0 dB. It does this by employing a number of signal encoding techniques including adding redundancy to multitone modulation, shaping the spectrum to reduce inter-carrier interference, and the use of algebraic coding. Making use of a detection theory-based model betweenze the performance achievable by our modulation as the rate of the information transmitted and the likelihood of error. Using real-world experiments on an OFDM system built with software radios, we show that we can transmit data at the target SNR value of 0 dB with a 6% overhead; that is, 6% of our packet is used for our low-SNR decodable tags (which carry up to a couple of bytes of data in our testbed), while the remaining 94% is used for traditional header and payload data. We also demonstrate via simulations how tag spotting can be used in implementing fair and ecient rate control and scheduling schemes in the context of wireless multi-hop networks, while pointing out that the idea of tag spotting is useful in the context of any wireless network in which control-plane information must travel beyond the communication range of a node.
Keywords Communication networks
Data transmission
Motor vehicles
Performance analysis
Secure communications
Simulations
Traffic congestion
Traffic control
Traffic safety
Transportation systems
Wireless communication


 
Source Agency Department of Transportation Office of University Research
NTIS Subject Category 45C - Common Carrier & Satellite
85H - Road Transportation
91B - Transportation & Traffic Planning
43G - Transportation
Corporate Author University of Southern California, Marina del Rey. Information Sciences Inst.
Document Type Technical report
Title Note N/A
NTIS Issue Number 1303
Contract Number N/A

Science and Technology Highlights

See a sampling of the latest scientific, technical and engineering information from NTIS in the NTIS Technical Reports Newsletter

Acrobat Reader Mobile    Acrobat Reader