The NTIS website and supporting ordering systems are undergoing a major upgrade from 8PM on September 25th through approximately October 6. During that time, much of the functionality, including subscription and product ordering, shipping, etc., will not be available. You may call NTIS at 1-800-553-6847 or (703) 605-6000 to place an order but you should expect delayed shipment. Please do NOT include credit card numbers in any email you might send NTIS.
Documents in the NTIS Technical Reports collection are the results of federally funded research. They are directly submitted to or collected by NTIS from Federal agencies for permanent accessibility to industry, academia and the public.  Before purchasing from NTIS, you may want to check for free access from (1) the issuing organization's website; (2) the U.S. Government Printing Office's Federal Digital System website http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys; (3) the federal government Internet portal USA.gov; or (4) a web search conducted using a commercial search engine such as http://www.google.com.
Accession Number PB2012-114253
Title Household Food Security in the United States, 2011.
Publication Date Sep 2012
Media Count 37p
Personal Author A. Coleman-Jensen M. Andrews M. Nord S. Carlson
Abstract An estimated 85.1 percent of American households were food secure throughout the entire year in 2011, meaning that they had access at all times to enough food for an active, healthy life for all household members. The remaining households (14.9 percent) were food insecure at least some time during the year, including 5.7 percent with very low food security--meaning that the food intake of one or more household members was reduced and their eating patterns were disrupted at times during the year because the household lacked money and other resources for food. The prevalence rate of very low food security increased from 5.4 percent in 2010, returning to the level observed in 2008 and 2009. The change in food insecurity overall (from 14.5 percent in 2010) was not statistically significant. The typical food-secure household spent 24 percent more on food than the typical food-insecure household of the same size and household composition. Fifty-seven percent of all food-insecure households participated in one or more of the three largest Federal food and nutrition assistance programs during the month prior to the 2011 survey.
Keywords Data collection
Federal assistance programs
Food insecurity
Food security
Food spending
Food supply
Households
Population
Surveys


 
Source Agency Economic Research Service
NTIS Subject Category 92C - Social Concerns
91K - Social Services
43 - Problem Solving Information for State & Local Governments
98 - Agriculture & Food
Corporate Author Economic Research Service, Washington, DC.
Document Type Technical report
Title Note N/A
NTIS Issue Number 1225
Contract Number N/A

Science and Technology Highlights

See a sampling of the latest scientific, technical and engineering information from NTIS in the NTIS Technical Reports Newsletter

Acrobat Reader Mobile    Acrobat Reader