Nanotechnology Search Results > Search Tips
Search Tips for Conducting a Basic Nanotechnology Collection Search
To perform a simple search, type one or more words in the Search box on the Nanotechnology page and click Search. This Search returns a list of related documents from the NTIS Nanotechnology Collection that contain one or more of your words.
The most relevant pages appear at the top of your results and are arranged in descending order by Title.
NOTE: To perform a search on the enitre NTIS Collection, type one or more words in the Search box on the top of this page.
Effective Search Strategies:
- To make your search more effective, do the following:
- Be specific. For example a search on nanocomposites may give you too many results. If you are really looking for Workshops on Nanocomposites specify nanocomposites workshops
- Check your spelling. A single misspelled or mistyped word can change your results.
- Try using Boolean logic: You can use the AND, OR, and NOT operators in a simple query.
- AND - Find documents containing both terms. Ex. Nano and Carbon
- OR - Find documents containing either term. Ex. Polymer or Conference
- NOT - Find documents that contain the first term but not the second.
Ex. Materials Not Sciences.
Note that common (or “noise” words) will be deleted from your query: The NTIS Nanotechnology Collection Search deletes a number of words from many queries because they are so common that they can significantly slow down searches without increasing the relevancy of results. On the NTIS Nanotechnology Search these words include the following: a, about, an, and, are, as, at, be, by, for, from, how, in, is, it, of, on, or, that, the, this, to, was, what, when, where, which, who, will, and with.
- Learn from your results. Your search may not return exactly what you're looking for, but scanning the results may help you see the words that were found and give you ideas for other searches.
Search isn't case sensitive, so don't worry about capitalization.
Working with Search Results
- Action Bar. The Search Results screen offers you various Action Bar selections at the top that allow you to manipulate your search results. You can refine your results by selecting from any one of the options in the dropdown.
- Search Within. You can further refine your search by selecting WITHIN RESULT
- Remove Search Term: To remove a search term from your query select the (Remove Search Term) button and you will be taken back to your previous search query results.
- Display format. The nanotechnology search results are displayed by TITLE, ACCESSION NUMBER AND YEAR and sorted by default on TITLE. You can also sort your results by YEAR or ACCESSION NUMBER by clicking on the relevant HEADER .To view the abstract click on the link as displayed.
- Number of documents per page. By default your search displays 15 documents per page. You can be change to a number between 10 and 100, as offered on the DISPLAY PER PAGE pull-down menu.
- Page Selection and Retrieval. Use the ... that appear before and after the page numbers listed to navigate through your search results. To move to a non-adjacent page, click the desired page number. The current page number is displayed before the DISPLAY PER PAGE box